|A hi-tech investigation has concluded the playwright's skull was probably taken by trophy hunters more than 200 years ago. A Staffordshire University archaeologist led the investigation into Shakespeare's grave at Holy Trinity Church, Stratford. |
Shakespeare's resting place has been disturbed at the head end, and proves a mystery skull thought to be his is that of a woman. It's possible that his head was looted in 1794, as the Argosy Magazine had claimed in 1879.
Good friend, for Jesus' sake forebeare To digg the dust enclosed heare; Bleste be the man that spares thes stones, And curst be he that moves my bones
1) Villain, I have done thy mother
2) Thou elvish-mark'd, abortive, rooting hog!
3) Away, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's-tongue, bull's-pizzle, you stock-fish!
4) Thou art a boil, a plague sore
5) Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon
6) The rankest compound of villainous smell that ever offended nostril
7) Away, you three-inch fool!
8) I scorn you, scurvy companion
9) Thou sodden-witted lord! Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows
10)Methink'st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee
|French police detained three grave-diggers in the latest in a series of arrests after dozens of bodies were dug up and gold teeth and jewellery stolen from them.|
Police detained the men as they worked at a cemetery in Pantin in the north Paris suburbs, where four other men, including another three grave-diggers, were arrested.
|The first two arrests came on the night of November 25, when police found 10 gold teeth on one of the suspects who were both wearing miners' headlamps and boots covered with fresh earth.|
A police source said the thieves located fresh graves during the day and then returned at night to rob them.